Thursday, August 7, 2014

Faith in God's Timing




They say hindsight is 20/20.

A little over a year ago, my dad lost his job of 24 years. He began the ugly task of seeking new employment. Thousands of searches and hundreds of applications went by, yielding a few interviews which ultimately amounted to nothing. Discouraged, our family prayed for continued faith and a miracle. But as time continued to go by I found myself asking, why is my dad STILL unemployed? We are doing all we can do. My mom picked up substitute teaching whenever she could, but she was also caring for my nephew since my sister is a single, working mom herself. At church we learn about faith in God's timing... but how much longer could we hold out? How much longer before God would answer our prayers the way we wanted them answered?


Eight months ago, my Grandpa suffered a stroke. He lives, but he has been struggling to recover mobility in his left side. Progress has been slow. The first step, which took a whole month, was relearning how to swallow. During that time, liquids were forbidden in his diet. He "drank" thickened water which he detested, and which consistently failed to quench his thirst. When family members visited him in his hospital room, he uncharacteristically begged for water. Often he would say, "Carin, if you really love me, you will let me take a sip of that water there." But due to the risk of the water falling into his lungs instead of stomach, I refused to give into his desperate pleadings. He had to wait.


Eventually my Grandpa was released from the care center, but still required a lot of daily assistance. Family in the area, including myself, all pitch in - taking turns cleaning the house, working in the yard, helping out during the day with meals, and spending restless nights with my grandpa who wakes every few hours, needing to turn in bed to relieve pain, but unable to move on his own. Dark circles under the eyes were a common sight in the family. Healing and recovery take time; but lack of noticeable improvement, despite tireless efforts, leads to impatience. And impatience impedes faith.


Then three months ago, my mom and dad began considering moving into my grandparents' neighborhood. Moving from Seattle to Salt Lake would be a major change, but my dad still had no job holding him down. A house around the corner from my grandparents' home went on the market. My parents put a bid on the house and the sellers accepted. My childhood home went on the market and was snatched up and sold after only a couple of hours. Three weeks later, the moving truck pulled up in front of our new home in Salt Lake.


I often ask myself, and have others ask me, “Why does God allow bad things happen to good people?” It is a question with a simple answer—to allow us to grow. A quote that comforts me comes from a leader in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, "When you are compelled to give up something, or when things that are dear to you are withdrawn from you, know that this is your lesson to be learned right now. But know also that as you are learning this lesson, God want to give you something better" (Elder Enzio Busche).


Things are going much better with my grandpa. His spirits are high and he is learning to use a walker. Unfortunately, my dad is still searching for a job, but his prospects are better in Utah. I have been impressed with the strength of character he has shown, and the unconditional love he demonstrates to his family. Patiently waiting on God’s timetable is an ongoing process. I never envisioned these changes a year ago, but looking back I can see God’s hand in every step. God does have a plan for us. He does care. When we are patient, we come to understand these truths.




0 comments:

Post a Comment