Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pray, for God is Always Listening

simply prayPrayer is the way we communicate with God while we are here on the earth. God is our loving Heavenly Father, and as such He wants to hear from us. Sometimes I will be telling someone a story or about my day and become self-conscious and embarrassed when I realize that they aren’t actually interested in what I have to say….at all. Ever happen to you? Well, that never happens when we pray. God doesn’t get sick of hearing about our day. He is perfectly aware of every step we make….and yet he has asked that we pray to Him. (Check out 1 Thessalonian 5:17 or 2 Nephi 32:8-9 at https://www.lds.org/scriptures)





Why does God want to hear from us then? Because He loves us perfectly. He cares. And when we pray, we turn our thoughts to Him and realize just how near to us He is. Praying allows us to express our thanks to God for our blessings and gives us the opportunity to ask for things we desire. In my prayers I share with God my thoughts, my worries, any heartache, as well as any uncertainty in which direction I should go in life.

President Thomas S. Monson of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints recently shared one of my favorite quotes in a worldwide address. The quote says,
                                                                                                                                     I know not by what method rare,
But this I know, God answers prayer.
I know that He has given His word
That tells me prayer is always heard
And will be answered, soon or late,
And so I pray and calmly wait.
I know not if the blessing sought
Will come just in the way I thought,
But leave my prayers with Him alone,
Whose ways are wiser than my own—
Assured that He will grant my quest,
Or send some answer far more blessed.
    (Eliza M. Hickock)

I LOVE this quote because 1) it rhymes, and 2) it declares my conviction that God hears and answers my prayers. He hears and answers every prayer.

Anyone can pray; anywhere and at any time. Out of respect to God, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints teaches that we should address Him in our prayers as, “Dear Heavenly Father…” Then we tell him the things we are thankful for. Next we can ask for the things we need or what others need. When we end our prayers, we close saying, “In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.”

I pray multiple times every day. Prayer brings happiness into my life, and a sense of divine reassurance when I am facing trials. For example, my Grandpa suffered a stroke a few weeks ago. Before we knew any of the results, I prayed to Heavenly Father and despite the unknown, I felt peace. This feeling let me know that God had heard me. My grandpa is progressing now little by little every day. I am so grateful to know that God lives and is aware of me. I know that He is aware of you too!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I know it's true. Today I had some tough things happen, but was constantly praying in my heart that things would work out. At the end of the day I realized that some small acts of service I had performed made a big difference, and the things I thought had mattered before really didn't. The Lord knows us and will answer our prayers when we act in faith.

    ReplyDelete