Tuesday, February 25, 2014

I Have Walked Where Jesus Walked

This week's post comes from Stephen Mickelson:

I spent this past summer at my university's Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies.  In my short three-and-a-half month stay in the Holy Land I had the opportunity to visit some of the most sacred locations on earth for Muslims, Jews, and Christians.  The call to prayer from neighborhood mosques became my music every night as I’d watch the city lights glimmer off the gold of the Dome of the Rock.  On two occasions I welcomed in the Jewish Sabbath Friday at sunset at the Western Wall.  There I danced with Jews my age in Kotel Plaza as I tried to hum along to their Hebrew songs of worship.  I said countless prayers in Christian church pews on ground dedicated to various events of Christ's life and on occasion followed processions of Franciscan monks through the old city.  

Upon returning home after seeing so many wonderful places, people often asked me, “What was it like to walk where Jesus walked?”  I always told them about the following experience I had in the Garden Tomb.

The Garden Tomb is the traditional location of the burial and resurrection of Christ for some Christian faiths.  It was the location that I most looked forward to seeing in the Holy Land.  As a Latter-day Saint, the resurrection has always been the ultimate message of hope and victory for me. Surely the greatest message ever received by mortals was that given to Mary by angels.  "He is not here: for He is risen, as He said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay" (Matthew 28:6).  Just as Christ rose from the tomb, we too can rise.  We can rise from sin, temptation, mortal frailties and death to return to our Father in Heaven because of the sacrifices of our Savior.

I found the Garden Tomb to be peaceful.  The gardens are well kept.  There is a reverent atmosphere there despite the bustle of the surrounding East Jerusalem.  However, I found my initial experience there to be vastly underwhelming.  There was peace, but there was no burning conviction.

After a tour of the gardens, we sat on some benches and sang hymns until it was our turn to enter the tomb.  As we started singing a hymn called "I know that my Redeemer lives", something changed within me.  The words were no longer lyrics that someone else wrote:  they were a declaration of my personal faith.  I felt a fire grow within my heart until it consumed me with gratitude, love, and knowledge.  It was the powerful spiritual experience I was looking for.  

I've thought about this experience a lot as an answer to the question, "What is it like to walk where Jesus walked?"  The experience taught me that when seeking spiritual conviction, the physical location is nowhere near as important as the location of our hearts, thoughts, and actions.  After all, those are the elements that made such places meaningful to begin with.  The thoughts, actions, and emotions of the Savior are what made the paths He walked sacred two millennia ago.  It was Paul's prayer that the disciples of Colossae walked as Christ walked.  "That ye might walk worthy of The Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God" (Col 1:10).  

Throughout the rest of my stay in the Holy Land, my greatest increases in knowledge and discipleship came from walking worthy of The Lord's guidance.  I know that I will never forget standing on the same steps to the temple that Christ ascended many times.  I'll never forget walking on the shores of the Galilee or through the streets where Christ carried His cross.  But I will be slower to forget paths my heart walked as I learned to love my brothers in Abraham, regardless of how different our cultures and beliefs may be.  I will be slower to forget the thousands of humanitarian kits we put together so that Bedouin children can attend school. I'll be slower to forget sitting down to share pita with Palestinian kids and looking for even the smallest ways to serve my classmates.

If you'd like to know for yourself what it is like to walk where Jesus walked, it's not hard.  You don't have to travel halfway across the world.  In order to know what it is like to walk where Jesus walked, you simply have to walk as Jesus walked.  No Galilee is necessary to be a fisher of men.  No road to Jericho is necessary to be a Good Samaritan.  Just act, speak, and love like the Savior.  Then stop and listen to the Spirit.  He'll tell you in your heart and your mind what it is like to walk where Jesus walked.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that beautiful testimony with us and reminding us what matters most!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful - and perfectly articulates how it feels in the garden there - thank you for a good memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The line in the last paragraph, "In order to know what it is like to walk WHERE Jesus walked, you simply have to walk AS Jesus walked," really touched me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete